In order for a community to thrive, we need to understand the complex issues that face our communities, our state, and our nation, and coming together to solve them. It’s not about politics, it’s about advocating for policies that help ensure children succeed in school, individuals live healthy lives, and everyone has the opportunity to achieve financial well-being.
Join United Way of Southern Maine as we work for the common good by advocating positive change to improve the education, financial stability, and health of all members of our community. There are overarching local, state, and federal policies that impact the day-to-day operations of the agencies that provide vital services to our citizens.
$4 million a year in State funding was secured through successful statewide advocacy with key partners to expand pre-Kindergarten.
Legislative Update Newsletter
United Way of Southern Maine is producing a bi-weekly newsletter on important legislative issues in Maine. Click here to read current and past editions of the United Way of Southern Maine Legislative Update.
2021 Legislative Report Card
The 2021 Legislative Report Card is a recap of United Way of Southern Maine policy priorities and successful advocacy efforts over the past year. We look forward to continuing our work together to support bills and policy that advance our mission in the upcoming legislative session. Read the 2021 Legislative Report Card.
Let your voice be heard:
- Contact elected officials to tell them how you feel about upcoming bills or policies.
- Write a letter to the editor on an issue affecting your community that you feel passionately about. United Way needs people who are passionate about early learning, financial stability, and health to make some noise.
- Give us a shout-out on social media. Tweet us on a #ff (follow Friday) and tell people why you like @uwsme or post a comment or like a story on our Facebook page.
How You Can Advocate for Specific, Current Policies
- SNAP provides food benefits to a monthly average of over 189,000 people in Maine. Show your support by sharing your SNAP Story today.
- Have you ever received EITC? Share your story and let us know how EITC has impacted your life, or how you plan to use it.
Check out the most recent United Way of Southern Maine Legislative Update for policies that you can advocate for today.
Subscribe to United Way’s Legislative Update and Advocacy Alerts
How United Way of Southern Maine Advocates
United Way of Southern Maine considers itself a partner with the State of Maine in delivering quality health and human services. This partnership serves thousands of Maine citizens. During the legislative session, we testify and send letters to members of the legislature on issues that will improve the lives of Maine citizens. Whenever we can, United Way of Southern Maine works with other United Ways around the state to increase the strength of our message.
United Way of Southern Maine testifies and submits letters on issues that support a thriving community, including the importance of early learning, financial stability, and healthy lives.
On federal policy issues, United Way of Southern Maine follows the lead and recommendations of United Way Worldwide. When a federal issue impacts Southern Maine, we ensure our federal delegation is aware of the issue and work with them to find an appropriate method of advocacy. We also engage our representatives locally with initiatives in the community whenever possible.