OUR COMMITMENT TO OUR DONORS AND VOLUNTEERS
United Way of Southern Maine (UWSM) is committed to protecting your privacy. Any information gathered by UWSM will be kept strictly confidential.
We will not sell, share, or trade our donor or volunteer names or personal information with any other entity unless required by law or it is necessary for completing an authorized operation. Credit card information is not stored or kept in our database, and we ensure all vendors use best-practice security standards. This policy applies to all information received by UWSM, on any platform (including the UWSM websites), as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications.
Donors who provide pledge information via the on-line pledge form, telephonically, in person, or on a paper pledge form may opt-out of having their personal information used for future communication or disclosed to third parties after the donation is processed. To opt-out, donors should contact United Way of Southern Maine via postal mail or e-mail email@example.com.
- What information we collect and why we collect it.
- How we use that information.
- The security measures we use to protect your data
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Information you give us. For example, the process of making a donation requires that we collect and/or track personal information, like your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, pledge amount, and type of payment.
- Information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about how you use our website. This information includes:
- information about your internet protocol address, device and specific location,
- cookies that may uniquely identify your account,
- aggregate and user-specific information regarding which pages you have accessed;
- Information provided in employer campaigns. If your employer has elected to host a digital campaign (called an ePledge campaign), you will be asked to complete an online pledge form. If you participate in an employer-sponsored ePledge campaign, we will also provide pledge information to your employer for payroll deduction purposes.
HOW INFORMATION IS USED
The information we collect is used for billing purposes, to complete your donation, and for future communications. Unless you instruct us not to, we will provide the agency you have designated to receive your contribution (if applicable) with your name, address, and the amount pledged so they may acknowledge your gift and communicate with you directly. We may also provide the designated agency with your e-mail address.
Your e-mail address may also be used to send you information related to your giving or volunteer activities or to give you information relative to your specified interests or agencies. You will always have the option to unsubscribe to future e-mails (see “opt-out right” at the beginning of this policy).
We have established and maintain security standards and procedures intended to protect our users’ information. When you submit personal information, your information is protected both online and offline. We have implemented a number of measures to protect the confidentiality of your personal information. We make reasonable efforts to protect donor information using commercially available methods.
- We employ firewalls and intrusion protection monitoring to prevent unauthorized access to our systems. Pledge information resides on a separate database server behind a firewall. We safeguard this information with an encryption technology called Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
- We have a registration/log-in process so that your personal profile is password-protected and can be accessed only by you or a person authorized by UWGP.
- For donors who pledge on-line, upon request, we will send an e-mail confirmation of their pledge. Due to the nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee the security of this e-mail correspondence.
- We restrict access to personal information to UWSM employees, specifically designated volunteers, contractors and agencies who need to know that information to process donations and who are subject to contractual confidentiality obligations, who may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
- We regularly review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems. Notwithstanding our security standards and procedures, your communications containing personal information may be unlawfully intercepted or accessed by third parties and/or the website may be subject to network attacks or malfunctions. Accordingly, we cannot and do not guarantee that your personal information or any other information is completely secure and safe from any risk.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
We will not share individually identifying personal information unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent:
Except as set forth above, we will not share any of your personal information with other United Ways and non-profit agencies, unless we have received your express permission to do so. For example, when you make a designated pledge to another external non-profit agency.
- To process pledges and transactions:
We will share the necessary information with other charitable organizations as described above, and/or to our affiliated organizations, or other businesses or persons for the purpose of processing any request or transaction on your behalf (for example, your employer for employer-sponsored ePledge campaigns and credit card processing companies or other service providers for purposes of processing donations made via credit or debit card);
- For legal reasons:
We will share personal information with companies, organizations, and individuals if we have to respond to the judicial process and provide information to law enforcement agencies in connection with an investigation on matters related to public safety, as permitted by law, or otherwise as required by law, or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws;
ACCESS TO AND ABILITY TO CORRECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
Donors who provide pledge information may modify, correct, change, or update their personal records by request via postal mail or e-mail. UWSM will send personal records only to the e-mail or postal mail address on file for the donor name associated with it.