Join us on Friday, September 15 at Thompson’s Point to kick off United Way of Southern Maine’s 2023 Community Campaign with the United We CAN Food Drive + Sculpture Contest benefiting Wayside Food Programs & Youth Full Maine. See pictures and results from last year’s event.
How Can You Participate?
Build a Can Sculpture:
For those looking to have a little extra fun, join us at Thompson’s Point to create a work of canned sculpture art.
Can-Struction: 8 am – 11 am
Award Announcements: 12 pm
Sign Up for Your Team at https://uwsme.org/food-drive-sign-up. Please seen the contest rules and awards below.
Confirmed Can-Construction Teams: BerryDunn, CCB, Inc., Colby Company Engineering, Hannaford Supermarkets, Hussey Seating Company, MaineHealth, L.L.Bean, RTS Packaging, Systems Engineering, WEX Inc., Wright-Ryan Construction, United Way of Southern Maine’s Giving Circles
Food Donation Drop Off:
Host a collection drive for employees or customers and then deliver it as a team to Thompson’s Point!
Food Donation Drop Off: 8 am – 12 pm
Sign Up Today at https://uwsme.org/food-drive-sign-up.
Information for Can-Struction Teams
- Build any kind of structure — from the simple to the ornate!
- Teams may use props, including signage, and supporting materials when building, but structures must be comprised of at least 50% food items and/or basic needs items. The ground should be more level this year, compared to previous contests, but teams are allowed to bring a flat platform to build on top of.
- Sculptures must fit within a 10’x10’ space unless otherwise requested.
- Collected items cannot be painted, taped, or otherwise altered in a way that makes them unsuitable for donation. You may cover food items with paper as long as it’s taped to itself and removed by your team after the event.
- Teams may construct sculptures between 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. on September 15. You may arrive later in morning, depending on how much time you think you’ll need. You are also allowed to arrive earlier than 8:00, but please reach out to United Way to confirm your plans.
- A team from your organization is needed to clean up and load food after the event.
- Best practices tip! Track and share the following:
- # of volunteers
- # of materials used, e.g. cinder blocks, plywood, tape, etc.
- # of items collected, e.g. 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter
- Other fun facts.
- Register your team using the form above.
- Find inspiration by checking out photos of previous years’ structures: 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016
- Gather your most creative team and design your entry.
- Check out the Most Needed Items list for donations most in-demand by our partners, Wayside Food Programs & Youth Full Maine.
- Let your employees know what food items and quantities you will need and do a “trial run.”
- Have a blast constructing your sculpture!
NOTE: Organizations are eligible to win only one award (with the exception of Community Choice Award).