February 2021 Volunteer Engagement Newsletter
United Way of Greater Portland can connect you with one-time opportunities and events that help our community, tools for hosting a collection of needed items, as well as ongoing and regularly scheduled opportunities that support long-lasting change and Thrive2027 goals. You can choose what moves you!
Every month we share a Volunteer Engagement Newsletter with opportunities to engage throughout Greater Portland.
- MENTAL HEALTH FIRST AID TRAINING: On March 16, United Way of Greater Portland is partnering with NAMI Maine (National Alliance on Mental Illness) to pilot a 6-hour, evidence-based, Mental Health First Aid training. This a virtual training with limited openings. Volunteers will learn: to identify risk factors and warning signs, when a person may need individual support, steps to help someone in crisis, and available support options. FMI: Maggie Gamble, firstname.lastname@example.org
- RED CROSS BLOOD DONOR AMBASSADOR: Support Red Cross at blood drives in your area. Volunteers have a variety of responsibilities including greeting donors, explaining the donation process, and assisting with initial intake and hand-off throughout the process. Volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of one 5-hour shift per month. Blood drives are generally held on weekdays with the occasional Saturday/Sunday(s) between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. FMI: https://bit.ly/3qOLsE5.
- CA$H GREATER PORTLAND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: Currently recruiting volunteers for tax prep and opportunity guides.
- CONNECT PEOPLE TO FINANCIAL RESOURCES AS AN OPPORTUNITY GUIDE
- BECOME AN IRS CERTIFIED VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARER FOR CA$H GREATER PORTLAND
- MOMENTUM: A MAINE RACIAL & SOCIAL EQUITY SERIES: Join us this February to continue the conversation of advancing racial equity. Free to Chamber + Non-members. FMI visit: https://bit.ly/3pdRCxa.