We’re Hiring! Director, Human Resources
September 17, 2018
Director, Human Resources
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Greater Portland’s (UWGP’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities.
The Director, Human Resources is responsible for developing and administering the organization’s Human Resources programs and initiatives. This person serves as a member of the organization’s leadership team and must understand the agency’s strategic direction and work across program areas to support and implement employee development and engagement opportunities. This individual will also support and strengthen United Way of Greater Portland’s reputation and effectiveness by maintaining positive relationships with various stakeholders, including partners, donors, vendors, internal staff and key volunteers.
- Develop, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s human resource function and performance in alignment with the mission of UWGP.
- Develop and administer full-cycle recruitment and onboarding plans and processes. This includes developing job descriptions with hiring managers, posting positions, accepting and assessing applications, conducting phone screen interviews, scheduling and participating in multiple on-site interviews for each selected candidate, communicating with candidates regularly and in a timely manner, managing the employment offer process, and onboarding new employees.
- In partnership with the Finance and Operations team, administer bi-weekly payroll including ensuring timesheet completion, managing employee changes in status, compensation updates, process improvements, and other payroll related functions
- In partnership with the Finance and Operations team, oversee the annual benefits open enrollment periods, including annual evaluation of health insurance plan and 403(b) program. Process all insurance and benefit enrollment and waivers.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date employee personnel records; archive and store former employee records in accordance with Federal guidelines.
- Serve as lead in Disability, Worker’s Compensation, FMLA, STD, LTD and Unemployment Insurance claims, as well as employment verification requests and provide information to stakeholders as needed.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate HR trainings, including annual compliance trainings.
- Lead organization’s implementation to achieve the metrics of the Employee Engagement and Employee Retention sections of the 3-year Strategic Plan.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to HR, reducing legal risks, ensuring regulatory compliance, and making recommendations to the organization’s leadership on changes to existing policies and procedures.
- Serve as resource for internal employee relations issues; provide mediation or mediation resources as needed. Maintain corrective action records.
- Conduct regular assessments of employee satisfaction and engagement and develop and implement engagement programs.
- Direct all aspects of annual goal setting and performance management program including training, timely tracking of employee performance evaluations, and advising managers of appropriate options, when requested.
- Assist senior leadership team in the annual review, preparation and administration of compensation adjustments and other HR related issues as appropriate.
- Assist in organization risk management, including developing, educating employees on, and enforcing policies to ensure organizational compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations, insurance guidelines, emergency safety plans, and other practices that protect the organization.
- Serve as lead staff or as a participant in year-round and/or ad-hoc cross functional committees.
- Manage employee separations as appropriate.
- Support managers with development and training for employees.
- Other duties as organizational needs require.
Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent in Human Resources, Human Services, Business Administration, or related field preferred.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Commitment to the mission of United Way of Greater Portland.
- Five years of progressive experience in a Human Resources role.
- SHRM-CP or HRCI-PHR Certification strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft Office environment – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and experience working with databases required.
- Experience working with performance management software (e.g. Halogen), payroll systems (e.g. ADP) and CRM systems preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required, including using tact and diplomacy in written, face-to-face, and phone communications.
- Self-directed and independent with ability to initiate tasks, be creative in problem-solving and ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
- Commitment to excellence and learning.
- Highly organized with proven attention to detail and follow-up, to ensure successful and timely completion of projects.
- Professional and welcoming manner, with sound judgment and discretion in managing confidential information.
- Exceptional customer service skills in interactions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to interact with and work well with a diverse populations and a wide variety of people, including volunteers, donors, business and community partners, and community stakeholders.
- Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, and use of a personal vehicle required.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. With some 7:30 AM meetings and after-hours functions, this position regularly requires more than 40 hours per week.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected
Why choose United Way of Greater Portland?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time, and about creating community level change that benefits every member of the community. We are all connected and interdependent. We all win when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy.
We have a staff of 34 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous vacation and holiday pay and paid sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Greater Portland offers:
- Convenient downtown location with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Health Club membership at a deeply discounted monthly rate
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- A great team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Greater Portland is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities, and encourage persons of all types of diversity to apply.
United Way of Greater Portland has identified a set of Core Values that are our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Greater Portland will endeavor to be in all situations, both internal and external.
At United Way of Greater Portland We are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications accepted until October 8, 2018. Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com