2018 United We CAN Food Sculpture Contest
Join us at the third annual United We CAN food sculpture contest at United Way of Greater Portland’s Annual Campaign Kickoff on September 14, 2018. Teams will construct sculptures from 8 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. (spectators are welcome to watch). The sculptures will be on display during the kickoff in Monument Square at 12:00 p.m. After the event, Wayside Food Programs will distribute the collected items to food pantries throughout Cumberland County.
Confirmed Teams (Spots still available, Sign Up Below)
- CCB Construction Services
- Dead River Company
- EVO Payments
- Gorham Savings Bank
- Infinity Credit Union
- Martin’s Point
- Verrill Dana
- Build any kind of structure — from the simple to the ornate!
- Teams may use props, including signage, and supporting materials when building, but structures must be comprised of at least 50% food items and/or basic needs items. A platform is suggested.
- The sculpture must fit within a 10’x10’ space unless otherwise requested.
- Collected items cannot be painted, taped, or otherwise altered in a way that makes them unsuitable for donation.
- A team from your organization must set up the structure between 8 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. on September 14. It’s not necessary for your team to be there the entire time.
- As you are planning and constructing, please track the following:
- Number of items, e.g. 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter.
- Dollars invested.
- Number of committee members.
- Register below or by emailing email@example.com.
- Gather your most creative team and design your entry.
- Let your employees know what food items and quantities you will need and do a “trial run.”
- Have a blast constructing your sculpture!
Are you interested in building a structure but don’t think that you have enough people for your own team? Let us know, we can match you up with others who are in the same boat.
Need ideas on what to build?
Most Nutritious: Local nutritionists and Let’s Go! experts will judge sculptures as the most nutritious, based on sodium and sugar counts, organic products, etc.
Best in Show: Judges will select the best in show based on the most creative and most food collected.
Most on Brand: Judges will select the most on brand award based on how well a sculpture matches with each company’s branding, products, or services.
Community Choice Award: Spectators will cast their ballots between 12:00 – 12:30 p.m. A committee will collect and count ballots and announce the winner during the kickoff celebration.
- 2018 Kickoff Flyer and CAN Structure Rules
- Pantry Project Kickoff (Collect food prior to kickoff.)
- Most Needed Items Flyer