Week of Action
Week of Action: May 16 to May 20
Get ready to TAKE ACTION with United Way of Southern Maine! May 16 through May 20, 2022, UWSM will offer a variety of activities in support of programs and partners across Southern Maine for companies and individuals to volunteer and give back throughout the region. Week of Action has something for everyone to engage and make a difference!
Week at a Glance
Below is our Week of Action schedule at a glance. For questions please contact Karen Stephenson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, May 16: The official kick-off of our Week of Action.
Tuesday, May 17 to Thursday, May 19: Three days with many ways to give back and volunteer across Southern Maine.
Friday, May 20: Join United Way of Southern Maine, The Portland Sea Dogs, and FMI, a Spirit Aero Systems Company, for a pre-game children’s book drive and Week of Action volunteer appreciation night on May 20 at Hadlock Field. Bring a children’s book to receive a buy-one-get-one (BOGO) game coupon and help knock it out of the park, and stratosphere, for literacy. The event is also the finale of UWSM’s Week of Action volunteer service event week. Week of Action volunteers are encouraged to attend the game and enjoy a night out at the ball field with a special Sea Dogs Week of Action game discount code. The first 300 volunteers that come in their LIVE UNITED t-shirts will also receive a complimentary Sea Biscuit. Prior to the game, we invite all Week of Action participants to join us on the ball field for a special thank you recognition. See you at the ball park!
Are you a company looking for more information, or to get involved? Please contact Karen Stephenson at email@example.com for more information.
- Overview: Click Here
- Check-List and Planning Guide: Click Here
- T-Shirt Order Form: Light Blue T-Shirt
Project registration is now closed. Should you have any questions, please contact Karen Stephenson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Link to VolunteerME Southern Maine: Click Here
- Host Site Communication Guide: Click Here
- Sample Projects Connected to Thrive2027 Goals: Click Here
- Participation Agreement: Click Here
Additional Virtual Volunteer Ideas: Warm Fuzzies
We’re inviting you to take part in one of the projects below by yourself, with your family, and/or virtually with your colleagues. When you do participate, please share your activity photos in our shared album: https://bit.ly/36epPEi.
- Gather children’s books, or purchase children’s books, to donate at UWSM’s Books & Baseball event, May 20.
- Host a Diaper Drive at your workplace, school, or in your neighborhood. FMI: email@example.com.
- Create an inspirational card for a student backpack kit. FMI: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Create a literacy kit, camp kit, or cleaning kit.
- Do a beach/ trail clean-up.
- Make a toy or donate food/ blankets to an animal shelter. Check with the local shelter for current needs.
- Pack a “meal” bag to donate (macaroni & cheese; spaghetti and sauce; rice and beans; taco meal; peanut butter and jelly). Contact your local food bank or pantry for details.
- Bake cookies or brownies for your neighbor or a first responder.
- Make kindness rocks and hide around your neighborhood. The Kindness Rock Project: VISIT THIS LINK. For ideas: VIST THIS LINK
- Take a book, leave a book at a Little Free Library. For a map of Little Free Libraries in your neighborhood visit Little Free Library.
Share Your Volunteer Story