We’re Hiring! Marketing Manager
November 9, 2022
Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
Under the supervision of the Director, Marketing and Communications, this position helps to advance the brand and positively position United Way as a philanthropic leader and trusted partner in the community. The Marketing Manager will increase awareness and visibility of UWSM and Thrive2027 among the public, donors, advocates, and volunteers through strategic event execution and compelling content development. This position directly manages events, including planning, promotion, and execution. This position will provide creative input, help create and implement an organization-wide integrated marketing plan, collaborate with staff to ensure consistent messaging and uniformity of presentation, measure results, and adjust for continuous improvement. The successful candidate is a strong project manager with excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills. They will have exceptional writing skills and be a collaborative team member.
Event Management – 20%
- Manages small to large-scale virtual and live events, including but not limited to Giving Circles, Week of Action, Campaign Kickoff, Annual Meeting, Campaign Celebration, and other events.
- Collaborates across departments and with external vendors to build and ensure positive brand experiences for prospective donors, volunteers, and advocates.
- Coordinates event planning process, including selecting and booking venues, managing guest lists and invitations, and tracking registrations.
- Creates marketing materials for events as needed, including signage.
- Conducts post-event evaluation and reporting and maintains event trackers. Incorporates event survey feedback to improve future events.
Marketing Communications and Production – 35%
- Supports social media strategy through content creation, including capturing photos, filming and editing videos, and writing copy.
- Provides support as needed to maintain and update UWSM and Thrive2027 websites.
- Oversees and manages direct mail process and works with the Marketing team to create, measure, and test individual giving mailings, thank you letters, and planned giving.
- Oversees printed inventory, including managing vendor relationships and working with internal staff to initiate and replenish as needed.
- Helps maintain an organized photo archive.
Content Marketing – 35%
- Enhances UWSM’s storytelling capacity by identifying and capturing stories with attention to content/style editing, copywriting, and design for both online and offline channels.
- Supports social media content creation by capturing engaging stories through photography, video, and writing.
- Produces UWSM and Thrive2027 content according to a production calendar and works closely with colleagues to brainstorm ideas, translate complex information and concepts into accessible and persuasive content, and foster a storytelling culture.
- Edits, proofs, and improves organizational content.
- Creates engaging blog posts, event emails, direct mail, marketing materials, infographics, social media posts, promotions,, to support UWSM and Thrive2027 marketing strategy.
- Ensures all content is on-brand, consistent in style, quality, and tone of voice, and optimized for user experience.
General – 10%
- Keeps the Director and Senior Manager apprised of workflow.
- Participates as a team member in the Marketing, Technology, and Communications department, organizational activities, and local community events, where applicable.
- Works simultaneously on multiple projects and expertly manages multiple deadlines.
- Sees both the minute details and the bigger brand picture.
- Collaborates across departments to bring projects to timely completion.
- Volunteers and actively participates in cross-functional teams or workgroups that support the entire organization’s work.
- Works with Database Manager to track donor solicitations and touch points (event attendee, volunteer, etc.).
- Demonstrates UWSM’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
- Provides superior service that exceeds the expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Assist with other marketing, fundraising, and donor engagement duties as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in communications, marketing, business, English, or related discipline, or experience equivalent
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of experience in marketing and event management
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills
- A proven ability to translate complex information and concepts into accessible and persuasive content
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Must be organized and task-oriented to ensure deadlines are met
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Capacity to take direction and apply constructive feedback to new projects and tasks.
- Superior attention to detail / Ability to meticulously proofread.
- High level of professionalism.
- Strong listening skills and ability to see new opportunities or broader implications.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Digital communications experience preferred.
- Social media experience or experience managing business social media accounts preferred.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Experience working with WordPress, Salesforce, and CRM preferred.
- Experience in photography and/or videography is a plus.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. UWSM’s COVID-19 Policy requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or received a reasonable accommodation) before their start date. We currently operate in a hybrid work environment, mostly remote (work-from-home), with some in-person activities.
An employee must meet the physical demands described here to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
Why choose United Way of Southern Maine?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time and creating community change that benefits every community member. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, families are financially stable, and people are healthy.
We have a staff of 45 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Southern Maine offers:
- Convenient and central Portland and Kennebunk locations with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- An excellent team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community
United Way of Southern Maine is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encouraging persons of all diversity types to apply.
United Way of Southern Maine has identified a set of Core Values as our essential tenets. These define and describe whom United Way of Southern Maine will endeavor to be in all internal and external situations.
At United Way of Southern Maine, we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications are accepted through November 27th, 2022. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Cameron Peden at firstname.lastname@example.org.