2017 UNITED WE CAN SCULPTURE CONTEST
June 29, 2017
2017 United We CAN Food Sculpture Contest
Join us at the second annual United We CAN food sculpture contest at United Way of Greater Portland’s Annual Campaign Kickoff on September 15, 2017. Teams will construct sculptures from 8 a.m. -11:45 a.m. (spectators are welcome to watch). The sculptures will be on display during the kickoff in Monument Square at 12:00 p.m. After the event, Wayside Food Programs will distribute the collected items to food pantries throughout Cumberland County
Confirmed 2017 Teams
Infinity Credit Union
United Way of Greater Portland/John T. Gorman Foundation
Click here for photos from the 2016 Can Sculpture Contest.
- Build any kind of structure — from the simple to the ornate!
- Teams may use props, including signage, and supporting materials when building, but structures must be comprised of at least 50% food items and/or basic needs items. A platform is suggested.
- The sculpture must fit within a 10’x10’ space unless otherwise requested.
- Collected items cannot be painted, taped, or otherwise altered in a way that makes them unsuitable for donation.
- A team from your organization must set up the structure between 8 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. on September 15. It’s not necessary for your team to be there the entire time.
- As you are planning and constructing, please track the following:
- Number of items, e.g. 2,000 cans of tuna, 16 jars of peanut butter.
- Dollars invested.
- Number of committee members.
- Register today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gather your most creative team and design your entry.
- Let your employees know what food items and quantities you will need and do a “trial run.”
- Have a blast constructing your sculpture!
Are you interested in building a structure but don’t think that you have enough people for your own team? Let us know, we can match you up with others who are in the same boat.
- 2017 Kickoff Flyer and CAN Structure Rules
- Pantry Project Kickoff (Collect food prior to kickoff.)
- Most Needed Items Flyer
For information on how you can get involved, contact Ken Holmes.