Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
Position Title: Senior Director, Corporate Engagement
Division: Resource Development
Reports to: SVP, People and Resource Development
Date: December 2023
The Senior Director, Corporate Engagement (SDCE) supports and advances United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM) mission of improving lives by establishing, strengthening, and maintaining high quality relationships with individuals and organizations to attract and sustain resources to support UWSM’s strategic plan, which will advance our community goals, Thrive2027.
The SDCE works with the SVP, People and Resource Development, and oversees UWSM’s Corporate Engagement team to grow and strengthen our relationships with Employee Campaign Managers, individual donors, and executive leaders within key organizations to expand United Way’s presence. These relationships are meant to inspire greater and more consistent involvement with us, resulting in greater generosity of time, influence, and money.
This position is responsible for leading and executing fundraising growth for the annual workplace campaign by leading the collaborative efforts of the corporate engagement staff, volunteers, and other key internal and external stakeholders. The SDCE helps develop year-round relationship-building strategies and ensures the alignment of initiatives with revenue and volunteer goals to create a consistent, positive experience for employees and organizations at every touch point.
This position requires a high-energy individual committed to excellence who takes initiative with a positive outlook and can manage ambiguity, change, and multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Attention to detail is critical to success in this role.
The role will also lead and coordinate our 9-week Loaned Executive program. The program focuses on professional development opportunities for early-to-mid career leaders of our corporate partners. It is a fast paced, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) focused, and community centered program. The Loaned Executives (LEs) will spend a large portion of their time assisting our Corporate Engagement team in developing and nurturing corporate partnerships during the campaign season. It will require bringing in guest speakers and training sessions from a DEI perspective.
Team and Program Management 65%
- Lead and manage Corporate Engagement team by recruiting, developing, coaching, motivating, and providing direction to Relationship Managers and support staff, including LEs, to meet performance and annual fundraising goals.
- Identify, research, and solicit corporate investors. Cultivate ongoing relationships with companies, employees, community leaders, and organizations by providing year-round customer service, support, and opportunities to engage in United Way’s work.
- Support UWSM’s reputation and build community confidence in UWSM by representing the organization and speaking at various public and community functions.
- Manage and coordinate the annual campaign goal-setting process.
- Coordinate recruitment, training, and curriculum design of UWSM’s LE program.
- Manage a portfolio of two to four major corporate accounts, including workplace campaigns and year-round engagement.
- Assist SVP, People and Resource Development with development and management of Resource Development department budget. Provides recommendations for ensuring necessary resources for growth.
- Ensure Corporate Engagement team is proactively maintaining real-time revenue projections in UWSM’s CRM system based on best practices.
- Work with Marketing team to ensure effective campaign promotional materials are developed and implemented per campaign plans.
- Provide regular campaign status reports to SVP, People and Resource Development.
Strategy and Process 15%
- Lead, develop, and implement long-term account management and fundraising strategies that align with UWSM’s mission and organizational goals and increase revenue from corporations and other organizations.
- Execute, refine, and improve the annual campaign plan and processes that support it to ensure annual campaign goals are met on time and budget.
- Work with the entire Resource Development department to develop and implement department-wide best practices for fundraising innovation in the workplace.
- Along with SVP, People and Resource Development, set corporate account portfolio assignments for Resource Development.
- Work with the Donor Engagement team to drive corporate engagement strategies that promote the growth of UWSM’s “affinity” groups per the strategic plan. This includes goal setting within the corporate campaign divisions.
- Assist in the ongoing management of StratusLIVE CRM database, ensuring strong utilization of this tool by Corporate Engagement staff. Ensures training and guidance for Relationship Managers on database usage and any CRM functions developed.
- Analyze prior campaign results, corporate trends, and intelligence with Relationship Managers to develop growth plans that achieve results per the strategic plan.
- Develop and implement strategies to assist the department with year-round engagement and relationship-building objectives.
Volunteer Engagement 10%
- Work with the SVP, People and Resource Development to provide community leadership for the annual workplace campaign by recruiting, selecting, and guiding an annual Campaign Chair and all Campaign Cabinet members.
- Provide direct support/management of the Campaign Chair on efforts, including Cabinet recruitment (and succession), regular campaign progress updates, and coordination of Campaign Cabinet meetings and training.
- Ensure open channels exist for collecting volunteer feedback and evaluation to inform continuous improvement.
- Work with Director, Volunteer Engagement in increasing corporate interest in volunteerism and corporate engagement.
- Serve as an active member of the Senior Director Team.
- Serve as an active member of the Strategic Planning Team.
- Provide a world-class experience that exceeds the expectations of volunteers and stakeholders.
- Volunteer and actively participate in organizational projects, cross-functional teams, or workgroups that support the entire organization’s work.
- Demonstrate a commitment to UWSM’s Core Values in all internal and external interactions.
- Work in tandem with other RD Directors to build a collaborative team with a “we” mindset.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Duties require completion of a Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent. Relevant lived/work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Commitment to the mission of United Way of Southern Maine
- 5+ years successful fundraising experience
- 2 years’ staff leadership experience required
- Process and detail-oriented
- Strong written and verbal English communication and presentation skills
- Outward-facing leadership with a keen ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships;
- Professional demeanor, appearance, and communication style Team player with a positive outlook and ability to manage ambiguity and change
- Problem-solver identifying potential solutions and opportunities even when the path forward is not clear
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. CRM (e.g., StratusLIVE, Salesforce, Andar) database software experience is desirable
- Strong interpersonal skills and people first approach
- Growth mindset with focus on results
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities with varying deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated professional maturity, including strong self-motivation, discretion, judgment, and independent work with limited supervision
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Valid driver’s license, verifiable auto insurance, and use of a personal vehicle required
This position directly supervises a team of three Corporate Engagement Managers
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment and technological devices.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. At UWSM, we are focused on creating connections within the Southern Maine community. Our current hybrid model is focused on doing just that, requiring our team members to spend at least 16 hours per week creating connections. Examples of creating connections include office time, external meetings/gatherings, training, volunteer engagement events, and even a cup of coffee with an internal/external partner. Early morning (7:30 AM) and evening (5-7 PM) meetings or events will occur regularly. During some periods of the year, hours beyond 40 per week may be necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change with or without notice.
Travel is primarily across Southern Maine during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
WHY CHOOSE UNITED WAY OF SOUTHERN MAINE?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time and creating community change that benefits every community member. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, families are financially stable, and people are healthy.
We have a staff of 45 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a total compensation package: salary, benefits, & brand.
United Way of Southern Maine offers:
- Inclusive Health & Wellness Benefits
- Career Development
- Retirement Plan
- Sabbatical Program
- Expansive PTO Package
- Hybrid Work
- An incredible team
United Way of Southern Maine is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encouraging persons of all diversity types to apply.
United Way of Southern Maine has identified a set of Core Values as our essential tenets. These define and describe who United Way of Southern Maine will endeavor to be in internal and external situations.
At United Way of Southern Maine, we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications are accepted through Jan 12th, 2024. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.