Be a part of the change!
Join a team of committed, results-oriented, and successful professionals who work to support and advance United Way of Southern Maine’s (UWSM’s) mission to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community.
Position Title: Senior Director, Finance and Operations
Division: Finance & Administration
Starting Salary: $84,000.00
Reports to: President and CEO
Date: August 2023
Under the general direction of the President and CEO, this position is responsible for managing the overall financial procedures of the organization, including all accounting functions, audit preparation, and tax filings, maintaining appropriate accounting controls, managing United Way of Southern Maine’s pledge/designation process, and the financial portions of grant management. This position will work with the President and CEO on the annual budget process and in developing financial and budget reports for management purposes. Additionally, this position is responsible for managing day-to-day office operations. This position serves as a member of UWSM’s Senior Director Leadership Team.
Financial Accounting & Reporting (45%)
- Develop and monitor the organization’s annual budget and strategic forecast, including supporting presentations to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Coordinate and manage all activities for the annual audit, including preparation of financial statements and tax filings.
- Oversee staff preparing journal entries to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Review payroll reports before processing.
- Lead staff to review/maintain general ledger accounts that accurately reflect the organization’s financial activity in accordance with GAAP.
- Develop, implement, and monitor accounting policies and internal control procedures; recommend improvements to strengthen controls and document workflow of key financial processes.
- Maintain a monthly financial reporting system that supports the annual budget and strategic financial forecast.
- Provide monthly financial reports to staff and regular financial reports to the Board of Directors.
Financial Operations (10%)
- Oversee purchasing, accounts payable, payroll, time tracking, pledges receivable, and collection activities.
- Review expenditures and prepare for approval by senior management.
- Oversee campaign pledge audit/processing and processing of designations.
- Supervise cash management and compliance with investment policies.
Grant Management & Accounting (10%)
- Ensure that financial activity associated with grants is accounted for properly and in accordance with grant agreements.
- Prepare and/or review grant budgets and prescribed reports, as necessary.
- Ensure that General Ledger accurately reflects grant activity, including appropriate classification of restrictions.
Donor Designation Management (10%)
- Ensure donor designation policies and procedures are in compliance with United Way Worldwide standards.
- Supervise staff in resolution of write-in designations.
- Work with processing staff to ensure designations have been processed accurately and completely and paid to agencies on schedule.
- Ensure designation payments are made accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure the smooth functioning of existing operations and develop new strategies to improve efficiency.
- Oversee external stakeholder services by ensuring regular and consistent coverage of the office reception area.
- Identify inefficiencies in existing systems and develop new strategies to increase productivity.
- Maintain and update operational policies and procedures in alignment with the organization’s goals.
- Support Office Manager to ensure that office supplies and equipment are maintained and to address facilities issues with building management.
Team and Organizational Leadership (20%)
- Serve as lead staff member for UWSM’s volunteer Finance Committee, working closely with the Board Treasurer and the President/CEO to oversee the organization’s finances.
- Champion exceptional service, internally and externally.
- Coach, develop, and manage a high-performance team, including supervision of the Senior Finance Manager, Finance Support Manager, Finance Associate, and Office Manager.
- Ensure team has the leadership and skills, tools, resources, and training to be successful.
- Provide organizational leadership as a Senior Director Team and Strategic Planning Team member, helping shape and guide organizational culture.
- Collaborate with senior staff across departments to maintain a culture of teamwork that ensures long-term organizational and community success.
- Perform other duties as organizational needs require.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- CPA or graduate degree in accounting strongly preferred
- 5+ years of leading a finance function as Controller, Director of Finance, or CFO required.
- Non-profit accounting experience required
- Experience preparing annual budgets, forecasting revenue and expenses, and managing investments.
- Working knowledge of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and financial reporting/budgeting in a non-profit environment.
- Staff management experience required.
- Understanding of appropriate accounting controls and procedures.
- Ability to recognize organization-wide priorities and work cooperatively to support their accomplishment.
- Ability to prepare complex financial reports for presentation to experts and to the public.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Considerable knowledge of computer software programs and applications for financial management (including financial accounting software and Excel).
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing;
- Experience working with and presenting to senior executives.
- Volunteer management experience desired.
- Direct experience with audit teams desired.
- Commitment to the mission of United Way of Southern Maine
- Highest standards of personal integrity and discretion
- Service mindset
- Team-oriented and collaborative
- Ability to interact effectively with people of diverse experiences and backgrounds
- Sound judgment and strong decision-making skills
- Finance Associate
- Senior Finance Manager
- Office Manager
- Finance Support Manager
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and other office equipment. The Finance Team is cross-trained and supports each other’s work. There is a combination of remote and in-person work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. At UWSM, we are focused on creating connections within the Southern Maine community. Our current hybrid model is focused on doing just that, requiring our team members to spend at least 16 hours per week creating connections. Examples of creating connections include office time, external meetings/gatherings, training, volunteer engagement events, and even a cup of coffee with an internal/external partner.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be required for professional development opportunities.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
WHY CHOOSE UNITED WAY OF SOUTHERN MAINE?
Advancing the common good is about helping one person at a time and creating community change that benefits every community member. We are all connected and interdependent; we all win when a child succeeds in school, families are financially stable, and people are healthy.
We have a staff of 45 dedicated employees to help us achieve our goals and fulfill our mission: To improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. To support the great work of our employees, we offer a competitive salary and a robust benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403 (b) plan, life insurance, generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick time off.
Additionally, United Way of Southern Maine offers:
- Convenient and central Portland and Kennebunk locations with free parking
- Tuition assistance and opportunities for professional development
- Wellness resources and Employee Assistance Program Access
- Personal and floating holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- An excellent team of top-notch professionals that share your passion for strengthening our community.
United Way of Southern Maine is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. We are dedicated to building a diverse staff with expertise and interest in serving our communities and encouraging persons of all diversity types to apply.
United Way of Southern Maine has identified a set of Core Values as our essential tenets. These define and describe whom United Way of Southern Maine will endeavor to be in internal and external situations.
At United Way of Southern Maine, we are:
- Community Centered
- Results Focused
- Intentionally Collaborative
- Committed to Excellence
- Leading with Integrity
Applications are accepted through October 30, 2023. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.